Thanks to Gabriel Navarro
Cartagena, phoenician name “Qart Hadash” (New City).
Originally named Mastia by ancient ethnic people belonging to the tartesian confederation (greek: Τάρτησσος, latin: Tartessus) settled in Huelva, Sevilla and Cádiz.
First Document regarding Tartessians are found in Herodotus, V century BC where he tallks about Arganthonios The Silver Man who ruled Tartessia for 80 years 625 B.C to 545 B.C. Arganthonios had the honor to welcome Phocaeans, the firsts Greeks from the Ionian region to reach Iberia.
In 228 BC was refunded by the Carthaginian General Hasdrubal as Carthago Nova. Scipio Africanus, a Roman General, conquered in 209 BC. Julius Caesar gave the town Latin Rights and Octavian renamed it as Colonia Iulia Victrix N.C. in his honor.
In 298 AC Diocletian named it Carthaginensis. After the Romans Cartagena was inhabited by Visigoths 425 to 551, Byzantines 551 to 624, the Umayyads 714 to 756, the Caliphate of Córdoba 756 to 1031, the Taifa of Denia 1031 to 1076, the Taifa of Zaragoza 10876 to 1081, the Taifa of Tortosa 1081 to 1092, the Amoravids 1092 to 1145 and the Taifa of Murcia 1229 to 1245.
Cartagena was also known as Carthago Spartaria under Byzantine rule and as Qartayannat-al-Halfa during Muslim rule. It possessed one of the best harbors in the Western Mediterranean