Island Garden Aranjuez Part 1

Island Garden Aranjuez Part 1

This garden, named for being surrounded on three sides by the Tagus River andsouth by an artificial river, lies north of the Palacio Real.

1. Origin.

Its origin dates back to the Order of Santiago, which between 1387 and 1409 built apalace mistral, the predecessor of the present palace. Since that time we built a canalor building a bend in the river Tagus, which stood various mills and watermills. Whenin 1487 Ferdinand became Grand Master of the Order of Queen Isabel the Catholic,grew on the island, which became known as Queen’s Garden. Later Carlos I andFelipe II decided to turn the area into a natural setting and take it to its peak.
“… The Lord Don Felipe III was repairing those sources and put some of those nowthere. This was discovered a marble quarry in Villarrobledo in La Mancha, the year of1604, where stands were removed and other stones the piles or ponds of them ….”
Juan Antonio Alvarez de Quindós, Historical Overview of Forest and Casa Real de Aranjuez

2. Fountains.

With many flowers and leafy trees, this garden also has many fountains and statues, as well as several stoves and greenhouses. The main sources are the Apothecary,the Hercules and Hydra, the Apollo, the Clock, The Boy with the Thorn, the Venus,Diana, Bacchus and Neptune.

VCrown©2011 Tree Path

3. Apollo’s Fountain.

The Fountain of Apollo (or Triptolemus), XVI century, is located just after that ofHercules, with a plinth, basa and octagonal marble parapet, in whose center is a cupwith the figure of Apollo with the plant set on a dragon. In the parapet may be differentreliefs, a satyr standing on every corner. The square where is this source was previously called the Puerta del Sol de Aranjuez, with reference to the place crowded,by analogy with the square of the same name Madrid.

VCrown©2011 Apollo's Fountain

4. Apothecary’s Fountain.

Upon entering the Garden through the bridge ramp, is the source of the Apothecary,with circular glass, with pictures of children with shells and rocks. In the background,has stood on the so-called Hall of the Catholic Kings, a walk of over 300 m with planetrees, next to the dam height of the Tagus, which separates an iron railing withpedestals and vases, as in the Parterre Garden moat.

VCrown©2011 Apothecary's Fountain 1

VCrown©2011 Apothecary's Fountain 2

VCrown©2011 Apothecary's Fountain 3

VCrown©2011 Apothecary's Fountain 4

5. Fountain of Hercules and Hydra.

The Fountain of Hercules and Hydra, which is the first one is just across the riverdown the steps, is mounted on a base and a black jasper based octagonal, with a bigcup and a pedestal on which is the figure of Hercules killing the hydra. Some findsome iron railings and eight pedestals with as many marble figures on the edges ofthe square. This fountain was commissioned by Philip IV to José de Villarreal andBartholomew Zumbigo and replaces an earlier fountain dedicated to Diana at the timeof Philip II. The sculptures placed on pedestals that existed around the fountain waspurchased by Philip V and originally located in the gardens of La Granja. After thissite was placed in the columns of the main entrance of the Prince’s Garden by Charles IV and finally rest in the Prado Museum in Madrid.

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 1

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 3

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 4

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 5

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 6

VCrown©2011 Fountain of Hercules and Hydra 7

6. Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn.

Next, the Fountain of Niño de la Espina, also known as the Spinario or Harpies, commissioned by Philip III to create, has a square stone railing jasper with a Corinthian column in each corner. In the middle is a pedestal with a cup on whichrests a stone young in attitude removed a thorn in his left foot. In every corner of thesource is a column, on top of which stands the figure of a harpy, who fired water intothe center of the source.
Formerly, the square where is this source had to turn to an arbor at each corner, with three banks and four Ionic columns of 1783, which held a shell of wood and lead,dismantled in 1867 when damaged one them by a falling tree.

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 1

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 2

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 3

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 4

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 5

VCrown©2011 Fountain of the Boy with the Thorn 6

Links related to Island Garden Aranjuez Part 1:

You can follow VCrown work at: FlickrTwitterFacebookVimeo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*