Stanford University Eustache de Saint Pierre
(Wikipedia source) Eustache de Saint Pierre is the best known mayor from the six noblemen of Calais, “The Burghers of Calais”, who went with “a shirt and a rope around his neck” to the King of England at that time, Edward III, to surrender in the name of the people of Calais (August 1347).
According to the chronicler Jean Froissart, the king pardoned him at the request of his wife, Philippa of Hainault.
The scene of the surrender of the mayor of Calais was immortalized in a bronze statue by Rodin.
Links related to Stanford University Eustache de Saint Pierre:
- Stanford University Pillars of Hercules Dimitri Hadzi
- Category Stanford
- Stanford Memorial Church, Frontispiece, Stained Glass and Altar
- Stanford University The Burghers of Calais by Auguste Rodin
- Stanford University Botanical Landscapes
- Stanford University Hacienda Commons